Saturday, October 24, 2009

What you think about... you bring about

This is my very first blog... it's about 1 in the morning and I was thinking that this is worth talking about!

I can remember Kwanzaa celebrations with my family when I was a kid. The children would put on a show, gifts would be given, and explanations of the tradition were explained. The thing that I remember most is a saying that my aunt taught us at a very young age: "What you think about, you bring about. What you ask for, you get. If you act the way you want to be, soon you will be the way that you act."

That still sticks out in my mind this very day. What I think about, I bring about. In other words... thoughts are things. Everything that I see around me that is not the divine manifestation of something that God Himself did came about because of a person's thought process. We have the ability to think things into existence.

I was listening to a CD by Earl Nightingale called "The Strangest Secret" not too long ago. He brought up a very good point in that audio recording. His main point was that "We become what we think about." It doesn't matter if our thoughts are good or bad, because our minds have the ability to produce whatever we think about (good or bad). He said that our minds can be likened to a farm with fertile soil. A farmer can plan corn or nightshade (nightshade is a deadly poison) and the land will grow whatever is planted. It does not discriminate. The same goes for our minds... whatever we plant will grow.

What we think about most will begin to physically manifest in our daily lives. What we think about, we bring about! People that think about sickness often get sick. People that think about poverty suffer from a lack of money and resources. People that think about being healthy are often healthy. People that think about riches in abundance are often wealthy.

This is not a new way of thinking. Scholars and philosophers have talked about this for years. The Bible has passages that tell us "be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:2). Buddha even said "Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a polluted mind, suffering will follow you, as the wheels of the oxcart follow the footsteps of the ox. Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a pure mind, happiness will follow you, as a shadow clings to a form."

If you asked a person to draw a picture of their mind, many people would draw something that looks like a brain. The mind is not your brain. It is a sketchpad for life. It is the canvas for the creation of your world. It is a mound of clay that you can fashion into whatever you like. It is the launchpad for your success, or the storage room for your failure. What you think about, you bring about. What you ask for, you get. If you act the way you want to be, soon you will be the way that you act!

Here are some books that I know will help you on your quest to control your thinking and put you on a path of success:

The Magic of Thinking BIG by Dr. David Schwartz

The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peel

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the talk Mel, I really appreciate it and I WILL change my way of thinking. I'm picking up the book tomorrow:) God Bless You

    ReplyDelete